Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink...

Well, it's a bit past 6 am here and I'm awake. "Good for you," one of you might be thinking right now, "getting up early to tackle the day!" Um, no. I just haven't slept all night. No need to worry though, I'm not so fraught with emotion that I can't partake in slumber or pulling a hectic all-nighter to write a paper my grade depends on. It's mostly due to the stupid ravens and kookaburras outside cackling all night keeping me awake. While home to some incredibly cute fuzzy mammals, creepy bugs, and poisonous things, Australia is also blessed with some of the most annoying birds in the world.

So what did I do to whittle away at these early morning hours? I wish I could say I enjoyed a cup of tea while reading a classic novel, but alas I did not. Unfortunately I haven't read a non-schoolwork related book in the entire time I've been here. It saddens me greatly. I have been pouring over every magazine and newspaper I can find though, so at least that's something. Their library here is in the mall, which I just can't get over. The MALL! That's like putting an Urban Outfitters in the middle of Home Depot. So I thought it over and using the wonders of Youtube, I've done the closest thing to curling up with traditional literature: Watched old episodes of 'Wishbone,' of course!

The sad thing is, I remember almost everything that happens within these episodes. A few seconds into 'Salty Dog,' (the Treasure Island episode, which weirdly enough, was written by now famous comedian/political commentator Mo Rocca) the main characters all bike ride up to an abandoned barn. Suddenly I think, "Wait a minute, there's a lucky horseshoe that Sam (the girl) wants and later they go in there, get stuck, and the barn is burning to the ground when she finds it!" That's precisely what happens and I haven't seen this show since it aired over twelve years ago. I have to wonder how much space in my brain is wasted just by storing early '90s TV show plots. So I decided to watch other shows I loved as a kid to see if I could recall them as well. Sure enough, I knew main turning points in episodes of 'Ghostwriter,' 'Blossom,' 'Family Matters,' 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch,' and 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' from only a minute or so in. Hell, I even remembered a few direct quotes from an episode of 'Boy Meets World' I chose at random from the many seasons it ran. All that's been in my noggin for at least nine years and I never realized it until now. No wonder I can't recite my 7 and 12 times tables, they've been replaced with meaningless trivia!

Anyway, things are going great other than me discovering a lame excuse for a talent. I got an awesome new job at a cafe/restaurant and am pretty sure I also secured a (non-paying as usual but great opportunity) spot writing for a local music magazine! I was in such a good mood the other day that I went out and bought a ukulele. Yes, I impulse buy small stringed instruments, not clothes or chocolate like most females my age. It's the coolest instrument ever! I missed my guitar, which I was finally stating to get the hang of when I left, and decided it would be a good way to keep in practice. Plus it wasn't expensive at all and is much better suited for my tiny little hands. I've only had it for two days and I can play Frère Jacques already! Pretty soon I'll be a ukulele master and can do duets on a train with Patrick Wolf *sigh* I wish.

'Wishbone' and ukuleles... I realize how incredibly lame I am. I know I keep saying it, but I'll go somewhere interesting and take pictures soon. Once I have money from my job, I'll be able to travel more and who knows where the music writing could lead! This weekend, however, will be spent working said job and (finally) sleeping. Wooohooo.

1 comment:

Julie said...

My mind also holds this "useless" information, I found that every old epidsode of Wishbone I watch I actually remember almost everything about it, as well as the other shows you mentioned. Yey, go us. GO COOL JOBS! That place sound pretty bitchin. And the writing thing sounds cool too even if it is non-paying. UKULELE!! AWESOME. I've always wanted to play a random stringed instrument.
Maybe the mandolin.